Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Daybook for the New Year

Outside my window, it is cold and cloudy (and dark because it is late).
 
I am wearing a pale blue fleece pull-over, dark blue-gray sweatpants, and socks.

I am reading






on the Kindle.  I'm about half-way through.  I'm enjoying the history and the pace of the book. 






I am listening to Casting Crowns † Peace on Earth and a snoring dog  (Sweet Lucy).

Around the house, it is very quiet.  All are sleeping.  Nice.

From the kitchen:  A big pot of home-made gumbo.   Missy mentioned to her Dad that gumbo sounded good.  (Gumbo always sounds good to Missy...it's her favorite.)  We all agreed, she was right.  So today after daily Mass, I dropped her off at the commissary to grab the four ingredients we needed.  The others and I went across the parking lot to put two (yes, two) Kindles into the UPS drop box back to Amazon.  One had a bum screen after a nine hour car ride, and the replacement had a bum battery.  At least the thing was under warranty and no outlay of cash was needed.  This was Katie's Kindle...did not effect my reading at all.  Anyway, back to gumbo...I went into the commissary and met Missy at the speedy checkout lane to pay for her groceries.  I felt so proud to let her shop on her own.  Then, Dave cooked when he got home.  It was good.

From the school house:  We completed day two of  our new and improved school plan.  Other than Janie and Missy being puny and Ricky having several two-year-old temper tantrums, we had a great day.  DJ was finished with everything by about 2:00.  Katie finished everything on her list not long after dinner.  This is a big, huge deal.   I have built into the day an 11:00 Religion session and a 2:30 Grammar session with Katie and Missy.  We are working through these subjects orally.  It also gives me two set times in the day when I can touch base with the Girlies.  I'm loving it. 

I am so thankful for daily Mass, just two minutes away, and a fabulous and understanding priest.

I am pondering the lyrics from the song "While You Were Sleeping" by Casting Crowns.  

United States of America
Looks like another silent night 
As we're sung to sleep by philosophies
That save the trees and kill the children

And while we're lying in the dark
There's  a shout heard 'cross the eastern sky
For the Bridegroom has returned 
And has carried His bride away in the night

America, what will we miss while we are sleeping
Will Jesus come again
And leave us slumbering where we lay?  

America, will we go down in history
As a nation with no room for its King



I am creating a digital photo album for my Mom and Dad to remember their big, huge, month-long trip to D.C. and beyond in September 2010.  I have been a Creative Memories girl for as long as I can remember, and have loved the StoryBook Creator software for the PC (although I really, really dislike using a PC).  Now CM has introduced the sbcStudio, a Mac-based digital album creator.  I am so dang happy.  I upgraded my OS to Snow Leopard and bought the sbcStudio program (actually, not in that order...oops).  As soon as I sort through and organize the photos (one of the cameras had a wonky date), I'll be in business. 

Living the Liturgy:  The Holy Name of Jesus...The simplest and most profound prayer.  Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.  It calms.  It centers.  It calls everything to order and peace.  

† Jesus, I love You.  Jesus, I adore You.  Jesus, I praise You.  Jesus, I thank You.  Amen.
 
Please, pray for K.S. and family.  Life has been hard for so long and my heart goes out to them.  I pray for good things for them in 2011.

One of My Favorite Things:  A sleeping Ricky.

On the To Do List:  I will be continuing with the great basement de-clutter project.  I have tackled the pile of totes, bags, and purses, and I have started sorting through toys.  I have a long, long way to go before I'll be done.  The key is fifteen minutes at a time.  Don't you eat the elephant a bite at a time?  Also, I am grading papers for the Girlies and updating school records for all the kids.

A Picture Thought:  
Ricky † 25 September 2010

4 comments:

  1. Karen
    good to see you here - I also love the Casting Crowns Christmas CD! Beautiful Blog - looking forward to visiting more!
    Karen T

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUN Karen! I'm following you in my google reader. I'm a huge blogging fan.

    ReplyDelete